My 5 Favourite Foods To Keep Your Immune System Fighting Fit This Winter!
Winter is here! Which also means so are the nasty bugs that hang around over these cooler months. You know, the ones that fatigue you, the ones that give you a runny nose, the ones that interrupt your daily routine and throw your health out of balance. Well this season we are going full offence and taking the winter nasty’s head on! How? By ensuring our immune system is fighting fit by including these 5 immune-boosting, cold-fighting foods every single day! It’s all about prevention.
- Citrus foods: Everyone knows this one by now right? The majority of citrus foods contain large amount of vitamin C, well known for keeping your immune system optimal. Simply add in an orange, grapefruit, or mandarin (mandarins are in season during Australian winter months) into your daily snack list. Or why not squeeze some lemon on your salad!
- Yoghurt: Filled with those necessary live, active, good bacteria, you would be silly not to include this food into your winter cold offence strategy!
- Green Tea: Amongst a stack of incredible health benefits, green tea is packed with antioxidants and other germ-fighting compounds that will lower your risk of infection. And who doesn’t want another excuse for a warm drink on a cold day! Tip: whether you use loose-leaf or a tea bag, aim to let the tea brew in the hot water for at least 5 minutes. The antioxidant potential of your cup will dramatically increase.
- Honey: This is nature’s number one natural antibacterial and all round health booster! Tip:top this on a warm breakfast of oats, or simply straight off the teaspoon like me (hehe)!
- Turmeric: This one is amongst the more unknown immune-boosting foods, however turmeric is one of the most antioxidant-rich foods available! Not only that, it is also an anti-viral, anti-fungal and has incredible anti-inflammatory properties. Tip:how do I use this yellow spice? Why not add it to your morning eggs, toss it with cooked vegetables, add it to soups or even mask it in a smoothie!